21 July 2014

Just Reattach the Leaf

I was watching a toddler outside on the playground this morning. He was standing beside a fence with a long vine plant wrapped around it. He pulled off one of the leaves and looked at it for a moment before attempting to reattach it to the plant. It was not a one-time 'let me try this', but the toddler kept picking up the leaf and after multiple failed attempts just walked away from the situation.

Now this got me thinking: How beautifully simple his thought process must have been to believe that a broken leaf could just be reattached. How perfect a world this child must see! And, how defeated this child was when he at last came to the conclusion: this leaf was broken.

In Matthew 18:3, it reads, "Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven."

This experience has enlightened me on 'becoming as a little child'. Instead of interpreting this as ignorance, lack of understanding or functionality, or even losing confidence in a perfect little world - maybe we need to focus on perspective. As I reflect on my own way of handling minor issues, I find that I am at a loss when it comes to seeing the best and simplest solution in every situation, even if it doesn't always work out. I am always more focused on a complex and complicated perspective that sometimes I miss the simple solution: just reattach the leaf.

1 comment: